Manage Public Relations
Cyber attacks and data security breaches are a major threat to a business’ reputation. How well a company responds to an attack and communicates with those affected by it, will determine how successfully a company can protect its reputation. If handled well it may even be possible for the incident response to enhance a company’s reputation.
No business can afford to be caught off guard so must have a pre-prepared incident plan in place. A dedicated incident response team should be assigned to lead and manage the plan in the event of a cyber security breach.
The plan should include:
- Clear guidelines for internal communication following an incident.
- Your liability and guidelines on when your legal team need to be consulted.
- Details of any regulatory bodies that may need to be informed.
- Details of your insurance company / broker so they can be informed.
- How your employees and your customers will be notified.
- Prepared responses / press statements.
In the event of an incident it is advisable to keep all relevant parties regularly updated and informed of the steps being taken to resolve the issue.
Respond to customer and employee issues in an honest and timely fashion and be open and sincere.
Admit responsibility if the fault lies with your company.